Call us today on 0800 211 8030

Who do I need to inform when I’m moving?

When you move there are lots of organisations and people you need to tell. You don’t want your grandma to go to the wrong address when you invite her to lunch or pay the electric bill for your old house! Here’s a useful list of people, businesses and organisations you may need to inform. There are lots, so we recommend that you make a list and tick them off as you go so that you don’t miss anyone out!

Who to contact when moving home
  1. Insurance companies – Sometimes it’s possible to move your existing building and contents insurance to your new house, but you’ll need to call your insurance provider and tell them the details about your new property in case any changes are necessary. You’ll also need to contact any other insurers you have a policy with. These could be for car, life, pet, mortgage, or health insurance, or you may have individual insurance policies for boiler or washing machine maintenance. Get out all your paperwork and have a look. You’ll need to notify them all!
  2. Utilities – It’s important that you inform your utility suppliers about your move at least 48 hours in advance, as this is how long it could take them to update your information. More advance notice is better once you have a fixed removal date. For gas and electricity, you can either stay with your existing supplier, or it could be a good opportunity to look for a better deal and sign up with a new one. It is crucial to cancel your existing contract for your old house and notify them of your final meter readings when you move. You don’t want to end up paying for the electricity and gas in both your old home and your new one! If you’re staying in the same area your water supplier will remain the same, but you still need to tell them about your move to avoid paying for two supplies at the same time.
  3. Banks and building societies – You’ll need to tell your bank, credit card and building society about your move. Also, if you have online savings accounts, ISAs, loans, premium bonds, child trust funds or any other investments such as a private pension or shares don’t forget about those. If you use PayPal, you’ll need to update your address with them by signing into your account online. Also, if you have a financial advisor, they’ll need to know too.
  4. Council – There are various reasons why you need to inform the council of your change of address, though you will probably have to inform each department separately! Sometimes it’s possible to change your details online for the council tax, housing benefit or the electoral register, but if you also pay for services, such as a green bin collection, you will probably need to inform them via a specific telephone number or email address. All councils work differently so some research may be required!
  5. HMRC – There’s an online service where you can change your address details for income tax, national insurance, state pension, tax credits and state benefit. 
  6. State Benefits – You’ll need to contact the relevant service. This could be for disability living allowance or personal independence payments, universal or pension credits, child benefit or something else.
  7. Medical and dental – Inform doctors, dentists, opticians and any other specialists or therapists you are registered with such as a hospital outpatients service or an osteopath. If you use a vets don’t forget to update your address with them too.
  8. TV and Driving Licences – You can change your address online:, you can contact the DVLA to change the address on your vehicle logbook here:
  9. Cable, phone and broadband – Whether you have Sky or cable you’ll need to inform them about your change of address. Also don’t forget about your broadband and mobile phone provider. While you’re thinking about it, update your details with TV subscription services like Netflix or Amazon Prime too.
  10. Online shopping sites – There may be many of these to change. With some you could change as you go, but if you use any regularly, such as eBay or Amazon, it’s wise to change them as soon as you can.
  11. Work – Your employer is going to need your change of address for contact and payroll purposes.
  12. School/college/university – Educational establishments need to know your address to update their files.
  13. Solicitors and other professionals – If you have a solicitor or an accountant they are going to need to update your records with your change of address.
  14. All the others! – Don’t forget about store card and loyalty cards. We all seem to have at least one of these! Then there are libraries, subscription services such as food boxes or magazines, online grocery deliveries, gym memberships and more! And last but not least are all your relatives and friends for when you invite them over for your housewarming.
  15. Redirect your post – Just in case there’s anyone you’ve forgotten or haven’t got round to telling yet, it’s sensible to redirect your post for a period of time. You can do this for 3, 6 or 12 months for a small fee and can set this up with the Royal Mail online:

If you hadn’t already thought about it, you may be feeling overwhelmed by how many people and organisations you need to contact. If you don’t mind spending a bit of money to make your life easier there are some online companies who can help you to change your address with multiple providers at the click of a button. This could make the whole process simpler and save you hours and hours of work.

Moving with children

Moving with children can be a challenge but with some forethought and organisation you can make the whole process much less challenging and stressful for everyone. Read our tops tips for a stress-free move.

Read More »

Ready to get in touch

Call 0800 211 8030 today for a quote or email our team on

Contact Us

Please let us know which service you require, fill in our form below and a member of our team will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

DD slash MM slash YYYY
Please select a service:(Required)
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.